Friday, August 14, 2009

Weekender


Friday is here at last! I know it comes the same time every week, but this Friday also means the end of my summer semester. And that is totally worth celebrating! I took two classes - one in Literature and one in Biology - interesting classes, but devoid of ideas for books or interesting ways to endlessly complicate the lives of the people living in my head.

I was trying to decide how best to celebrate my new found freedom from the tedium of studying and came to the conclusion that the celebration has to wait until next weekend, after I finish my current book. It needs to be done and to a beta reader this weekend. And then I can celebrate.

I was going to go to the Black Rose Pub with some friends to celebrate, but the fiends closed down! Rumor has it that they'll reopen, but it'll be different. I did hear about another restaurant/pub to go check out next time I get north, so that'll be fun. I do need to find a good Indian restaurant here, and I really need to find a traditional Japanese restaurant that serves something beside sushi, sashimi, and whatever can be cooked on a Hibachi grille. When I lived in Japan there was this little hole in the wall place that served the best yakisoba, which isn't what you get in the stores and I've been dying for some for about five years now.

In other news, I think next week I'll be making apple butter, and later this summer my mom and I are going to canning - jellies, tomatoes, and pickles! I'm looking forward to the pickles - my mom's are the best and it's been years since she's made any. Her garden is doing great this year - she planted marigolds around the whole veggie patch and it keeps all of the critters away. Her cherry tomatoes are about a third of the size of the store bought tomatoes - or half depending on the location and season. Fruit and veggies in the snowbound north are imported at least 6 months out of the year.

This weekend along with finishing my book, I'm going to try my hand at zucchini bread and maybe some homemade white bread and possibly some cookies.

The photo is from the tank of a bike at a rally I went to three weeks ago - maybe four. I can't remember anymore, which reminded me that I still need to get the pics I took from Carol Lynne's weekend up.

Have a great weekend! I'm off to write!

No comments: